This is my new favorite way to make half rectangle triangles (HRTs). Using the Recs Tool by Darlene Zimmerman and Joy Hoffman makes it so fast and easy. The tool is etched with markings to make several sized blocks. For this tutorial, I'm making the 6 1/2" sized block.
1) Cut a 6 1/2" strip
2) Cut out pieces using the Recs Tool
3) Rotate Recs tool and cut another piece
4) Continue cutting down the strip until you have as many pieces as you need.
5) Choose two pieces with contrasting colors or value
6) Sew together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Use the snipped angle for alignment.
7) Press seams open
8) Trim and your block is done. So easy! : )
|Sunday Sail quilt in progress|
Make a bunch more you will have a fun HRT project before you know it!
Thanks, I never would have thought of this!ReplyDelete
What a great tool! I've wanted to make HRT's and this template looks like a time saver!ReplyDelete
Thank you for this! I love HSR but they always looked so tricky. They look great with your method!ReplyDelete
Great tutorial. This makes it look so easy!ReplyDelete
Great idea. I think I might have that ruler--I better check...ReplyDelete
I have that ruler. Thanks so much for giving us another way to use it!!ReplyDelete